Friday, May 29, 2015

Week 13 Prompt. Since you asked......

Week 13 Prompt. Since you asked......

Prompt: "Though this week's group of "genres" all seem very different, they all have in common the fact that many people don't feel that they are legitimate literary choices and libraries shouldn't be spending money on them or promoting them to adults. Obviously, graphic novels are becoming more acceptable, but I still had to fight to get my progressive library in a liberal college town to purchase a book club kit containing graphic novels. The common belief is that adults still don't or shouldn't read that stuff. How can we as librarians, work to ensure that we are able to serve adults who enjoy YA literature, graphic novels, and street lit? Or should we? I can't wait to read your thoughts on this. Thanks!"

I don't think we should work to ensure that this genre is promoted. Personally, I can't stand the genre, but I know I'm not supposed to say that or feel that way. But since you asked, I am saying it here. In addition, I have interviewed many librarians about the teen sections in their departments. I am thinking of one in particular: They have to have a police officer standing by when the middle school lets out, to prevent any disruptions in the library. I won't even go into the library during these times, as I feel like the kids are acting wild, and somewhat threatening to the other patrons.  Even though the librarians try to fix up the reading rooms, make them separate, the teens tend to congregate socially in the graphic novels areas. I feel that for a small library, this is too much to manage, and I agree that the library shouldn't be spending money on them when there really are..let's face it...much better quality books for most patrons available to throw  your limited dollar on. I don't support buying these books, more from a financial and management point of view. I do support it from a freedom to read point of view. No one should not be allowed to not read them- I just don't want to pay for them! Also, they get torn up more easily and have to be replaced because of that or because they are stolen. I'm sorry to sound like an old person here, but that is how I feel about it. Since you asked.....

No comments:

Post a Comment